Homemade Dog Food – Your Hunting Dog Will Love You
My two Vizsla hunting dogs get homemade dog food twice each day. I mix an adjusted amount with good quality dry kibble.
Homemade dog food can be better than some commercial products. We don’t realize what’s in the food we give our pets. Always inspect the ingredients.
Commercial dog foods can contain preservatives, and are altered by chemical processes that can be unhealthy for dogs. They can also contain processed unknown animal products and fillers that do nothing to contribute to your pet’s health.
To avoid your dogs ingesting unknown dog food ingredients, make your own. Control not only the content, but the quality as well.
Reasons To Consider A Homemade Dog Food
- dog has allergies to food
- persistent skin problems
- gastrointestinal upsets including diarrhea or constipation
- competes in sporting events or working stock and needs strength for endurance
- control of quality and freshness
- nothing processed so food retains all the vitamins, antioxidants and enzymes
Observe your dog to see he is getting his required dog food nutrition.
- shiny coat, illustrious feel
- sparkling eyes
- alert, good energy and activity
- maintain weight without getting fat
- stool firm and consistent
An appropriately balanced dog food recipe contains roughly 40 percent meat, 30 percent starch and 30 percent vegetables.
1. Meat: Any type can be included. Organ meat, such as liver, is particularly healthy for dogs. Bones should be removed as they are a choking hazard. Cook the meat – uncooked meat can contain unhealthy bacteria and possibly parasites.
2. Starch: Most forms are okay – cooked pasta, potatoes, and rice are common choices for homemade dog food.
3. Vegetables: Most types can be used. Do not use onions as they can be toxic. Cook the vegetables – raw veggies can pose a choking hazard.
Recipe For Quick Adult Homemade Dog Food
This recipe will feed a 50 pound adult dog for one day. If your dog in smaller or larger then the 50 pounds, adjust the amount of ingredients. You can cook enough for many days, divide accordingly and freeze the rest. This food has No preservatives, so refrigerate the fresh food for 3 days maximum. The human vitamin supplement Theragran-M Advanced and calcium carbonate (example: Tums) can be found in any pharmacy.
- 5 oz. dark meat chicken or turkey beef or fish
- 2 1/8 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tsp. corn oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 pills Theragran-M Advanced (crushed)
- 2100 milligrams calcium carbonate (crushed)
- Cook rice until done.
- Bake your meat, poultry, or fish choice 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Crush human vitamins and “Tums”.
- Mix all ingredients.
Pay attention to your dog’s response to the new dog food recipes you use. There may be items they refuse to eat or have reactions to a particular food. Try something else in their place, such as substitute chicken for turkey or rice for potatoes. Be aware for changes in your dog’s behavior, especially things such as excessive scratching. This could indicate an allergy to one of the foods you are using.
Homemade dog food recipes generally cause fewer allergic reactions than commercial brands. Plus, by making dog food recipes at home, you can control the proportion of different ingredients. This can be very important to working and sporting breeds that may require more nutrients for their active lifestyles.
While in the kitchen, why not whip up some dog biscuits. Recipes can be found on the Internet, or try your library. Here is an easy dog biscuit recipe, use it for training or a treat. I have never met a dog who didn’t love his cheese!
Any Cheese Biscuits
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, Swiss, mozzarella, or any cheese in the fridge)… dogs Love any type of cheese!
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 3/4 cup milk, lowfat
- grated parmesan for topping (if you have it on hand)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix all flours and cheese together in a food processor (or by hand, mix well).
- Add softened butter and milk, mix well.
- Roll out on a surface to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut into shapes, squares is fine.
- Place on greased baking surface.
- Bake for 15 to 29 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool and store in refrigerator.
Always check with your Veterinarian before making any changes to your dog’s diet. For any type of dog, homemade dog food is a good choice to ensure they live a long, happy, and healthy life.