- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
- 2-3 cups (when dry) (thick) Poha (flattened rice)
- A pinch asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1-2 green chilies (chopped small) (or according to desired level of heat - can leave out if you prefer)
- 1 onion (small dice)
- 1 potato (small dice – use the waxy kind, i.e. red bliss, Yukon gold, eastern white. Avoid boiling potatoes, which don’t retain their shape once cooked)
- 1/2 cup peanuts or cashews
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (chopped) for garnish
- Fresh lemon (to squeeze at end)
Soak the Poha for 5 mins then drain in a colander (there's a thick and a thin Poha - this recipe is for the thick Poha). Heat oil in a pan (Devesh uses a wok). Season with asafoetida, then mustard seeds. As soon as they crackle, add diced onion and green chilies. Fry until translucent.
In parallel, heat diced potatoes in microwave for ~2 minutes to partly cook them. Add turmeric and curry leaves to hot oil once onions are done. Add nuts. Add heated potatoes. Sauté until potatoes are done. Add Poha and salt and mix thoroughly. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
Transfer to serving bowl and sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro and lemon juice (or lime juice) before serving.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe