Low Calorie & Healthy Dal Makhani2013-06-11
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
Low Calorie & Healthy Dal Makhani
- For Boiling - 1/2 cup Whole Black Gram (Saboot Urad Dal)
- For Boiling - 1/8 cup Rajma (Red kidney Beans)
- For Boiling - 1 - 2 green chillies slit lengthwise
- For Boiling - Salt to taste
- For Boiling - 1/4 tsp turmeric
- For Boiling - 2 - 3 Moti Elaichi
- For Boiling - 2 cloves
- For Boiling - 1 Tej Patta
- For Boiling - 1 small piece cinnamon
- For Tempering - 1 onion finely chopped
- For Tempering - 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- For Tempering - 1 tomato finely chopped
- For Tempering - 1/4 tsp red chilly powder
- For Tempering - 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- For Tempering - 1/4 tsp garam masala
- For Tempering - 1 tsp coriander powder
- For Cooking - 1 tsp Oil
- For Cooking - 1/2 cup low toned milk
- For garnish - Few chopped sprigs of green coriander
- For garnish - 1 tsp Dahi
Low Calorie & Healthy Dal Makhani:
Soak the dal and rajma overnight in water. The amount of water should be double the amount of dal and rajma as they are going to get double in volume upon soaking.
Drain the water. In a pressure cook add dal, rajma, moti elaichi, cloves, tej patta, cinnamon, salt, turmeric and slit green chillies along with 4 1/2 cups of water.
Close the cooker and bring to full pressure on high flame. After first whistle, turn down the flame to low and let the dal slow cook for 25 - 30 mins. Then turn off the heat and let the cooker cool naturally.
When you open the cooker the dal should be soft and thick in consistency. Whisk it with a ladle and ensure that it is overcooked. Otherwise you can put in some more water and let it cook more till the dal gets mashed completely.
Remove all the spices like taj patta, cloves and others from the cooked dal.
Now add the milk. This will change the color of the mixture. Let it simmer till the dal gets thick and creamy in texture.
In a kadai, heat the oil and add the cumin seeds. When they begin to crackle add onion and ginger garlic paste. Let them cook till onions are golden brown. Then add tomatoes. Let it cook till they are soft and mushy. Then add garam masala and coriander powder and red chilly powder. Stir constantly lest the masala gets burnt.
After few seconds add the cooked dal-rajma mixture.
Mix well and let it simmer for 5 - 10 minutes.
Garnish with green coriander and beaten curd.
Serve hot with chapati or rice with paneer sabji and salad.
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe